There’s a lot to look forward to when planning a trip to the beach! First order of business: fill a beach bag with these five sun and foot care essentials:
- Sunscreen. You’ve probably thought of this already and have some on hand. But for maximum protection, be sure it has an SPF of 30 or higher; use a “broad spectrum” lotion, which protects against both kinds of harmful UV rays; don’t forget to apply lotion on your feet and ankles and apply the lotion again after your swim and every couple of hours.
- Water bottles. Drink lots of water at the beach to prevent dehydration and to help keep your skin soft and moist.
- Flip-flops. Foot protection is essential when walking on hot sand or shared flooring such as public restrooms and showers.
- Athletic Shoes. Yes! A second pair of shoes for playing sports is helpful when you’re invited to play catch or sand volleyball. Sporting around in flip-flops is a sprained ankle waiting to happen, as flip-flops don’t have the support you need when running, jumping, and landing.
- A first aid kit containing gauze, bandages, and antibiotic ointment is helpful to have on hand for treating an unexpected cut or scrape.
Don’t let fungal infections, punctures, and burns on the feet spoil your fun in the sun. Think ahead, and load your beach bag with foot-friendly items. Oh, and don’t forget the ice pops!
Our experienced podiatric surgeons, Dr. Craig B. Frey, Dr. Megan L. Oltmann, and Dr. Jim Swienconek, are here to help when you have foot pain or an injury. Call Foot & Ankle Associates of Cleveland in Solon, Ohio, at (440) 903-1041 or contact us online to schedule a consultation. We offer a modern office with the latest technology for podiatric patients in Portage, Geauga, Cuyahoga, and Summit Counties, proudly serving our patients from Solon, Aurora, Bedford, Chagrin Falls, Hudson, Macedonia, and Twinsburg.