When October 31 rolls around, we can spot ghosts and goblins everywhere. Kids! They love to jump out and surprise us with their ghoulish costumes and scary faces.
When it comes to your foot health, there’s not too much that can jump out and surprise us at Foot & Ankle Associates of Cleveland. Although there are hundreds of disorders of the feet and ankles (just check out our educational list of foot conditions), with proper attention and regular appointments with Dr. Craig B. Frey and Dr. Megan L. Oltmann, there’s actually a lot you can do to minimize those times when your feet jump out and say “Boo!”
Here are some specific steps you can take to fend off foot and ankle problems:
- Get to know them. Regular self-examination is a great way to catch problems early. Things to look for include skin color, moles, rashes, thickening or discoloration of the nails, and overall shape. Any change is a red flag and should prompt a call to Dr. Frey or Dr. Oltmann.
- Treat them like royalty. Pamper them with soap and water, moisturizer, suntan lotion when they’re exposed to the sun, and foot soaks when they’re especially weary. Perform soothing stretching exercises.
- Give them a good home – or two or three. The shoes your feet live in should be of high-quality material, offer excellent support, and above all, they need to fit well. Lousy-fitting shoes can cause blisters, bunions, ingrown toenails, plantar fasciitis, hammertoes, and so much more. For the same reasons, you should avoid wearing the same pair of shoes all the time. See a reputable shoe salesperson for the best choices, or ask us for our advice.
- Keep them nourished. Eating nutritious foods and maintaining a healthy weight helps to keep bones, ligaments, tendons, and muscles happy.
- Don’t delay treatment. Despite your best hopes, many foot and ankle problems get worse over time. Remember – pain in your feet is not normal and the longer you take to seek professional help, the harder it may be to treat your issues. Make an appointment online or call our office at (440) 903-1041. We look forward to treating you in our modern office in the beautiful community of Solon, Ohio.