Dancers have some of the most overworked lower limbs you can find. Foot and ankle problems like tendinitis, stress fractures, and sesamoiditis just come with the territory. Dancers regularly twist tendons and stretch ligaments beyond their normal reach. Their feet are often in pain. They need to know that when foot problems keep them from the sport they love, they have an expert foot specialist they can turn to.
Serious dancers who live in Cuyahoga, Summit, Portage, or Geauga County can turn with confidence to board-qualified podiatrists Craig B. Frey, DPM, and Megan L. Oltmann, DPM of Foot & Ankle Associates of Cleveland. Dr. Oltmann has a special interest in treating dancers’ feet. As a former dancer herself, Dr. Oltmann combines her personal experience in the sport of dance with her podiatric training. The result is a doctor with special insight into the treatment of dancers and dancing injuries.
What can a qualified podiatrist do for dancers?
Our podiatrists are uniquely qualified to
- examine your lower extremities, determine the source of pain, and recommend appropriate treatments
- discover and correct biomechanical imbalances that may be contributing to pain
- make recommendations for changes in footwear both on and off the stage
- prescribe custom orthotics, specifically formed to your foot, to relieve stress and strain
- improve mobility and range of motion by prescribing targeted exercises and physical therapy
- perform foot and ankle surgery as needed
Dancers’ feet and ankles are vulnerable to overuse injuries from repetitive movements. They’re also prone to traumatic injuries such as bone fractures from an incorrect landing. Both Dr. Frey and Dr. Oltmann treat both types of sports injuries at their state-of-the-art office in Solon, Ohio. If you’re a dancer with a foot or ankle pain, call us at (440) 903-1041 for prompt, expert evaluation and treatment. You may also request an appointment online.