How to Treat Corns and Calluses

corns callus

Have you ever stopped to think about why your feet develop corns and calluses?

  • Both corns and calluses are areas of thickened skin. They form when something repeatedly irritates one area of your foot.
  • Calluses are flat and may cover a large area. We commonly see them on heels and the balls of the feet.
  • Corns are thicker and deeper and cover a smaller area, such as the top or side of a toe. You can develop a corn from shoes that are too tight, toes that overlap each other, or a toe deformity such as a hammertoe that continually rubs against your shoe.

How to treat a corn or callus at home

Calluses and corns are not particularly worrisome if they don’t bother you. If you’d like to eliminate them purely for cosmetic reasons, first soften them in warm, soapy water. Then, use a pumice stone or foot file to gently rub the dead skin away, layer by layer. Don’t rub it with force and never cut it with a razor. Finally, consider changing the style of shoes you’re wearing to see if you can reduce pressure on those areas and prevent them from getting worse.

When to worry about a corn or callus

Sometimes these irritated areas of skin do become large and painful. You may find it difficult to wear certain types of shoes. You may have pain when walking. If the pain is bad enough, you may change your gait and begin to cause knee, hip, or back problems.

You don’t have to suffer to that point with a corn or callus. Instead contact podiatrists Dr. Megan L. Oltmann and Dr. Craig B. Frey at Foot & Ankle Associates of Cleveland which serves Cuyahoga, Summit, Portage, and Geauga Counties.  They have safe, sanitary methods to trim down corns and calluses and make you more comfortable. Custom orthotic shoe inserts that relieve pressure may be a good option, too.

If you have diabetes or poor circulation, it’s best to skip home treatment and see our podiatrists instead.

For expert care of troublesome corns and calluses, call us at our office in Solon, Ohio at (440) 903-1041 or request an appointment online.