Exercise is a way of life for some people, and for others, it’s tough just to get out of bed in the morning. What inspires you to get moving?
Well, consider this: June 6, 2018 is Global Running Day! People from all over the globe are pledging to run, and we aren’ttalking about a marathon. It could mean a solitary jog around the block or organizing a game in the park with a bunch of friends. Just run.
Dr. Craig B. Frey and Dr. Megan L. Oltmann, the expert podiatrists at Foot & Ankle Associates of Cleveland, are interested in motivating our patients to move. Running is a great way to get the exercise our body needs to stay flexible and strong. What’s good for the muscles, joints, bones, and blood circulation of our body naturally works to keep our feet healthy as well.
Ready – Set – Run!
If you need some motivation to get moving, here are some ideas, inspired by this worldwide homage to running:
- Make it a group effort – invite a friend who’s new to the sport to run with you
- Map out a new run – find a new park, beach, or path to practice your sport
- Travel the path to fitness by following an organized running program such as Couch to 5K
- Update your shoes – if you haven’t bought running shoes in a while, get new ones that support, absorb shock, and make running safer and more enjoyable. Be sure to replace them every 300-400 miles.
- Register online to be part of the #globalrunningday count, updated in real time
- Join – or start! – a local running club
- Make yourself accountable by getting a fitness tracker (for example, a Fit Bit)
- Inspire your children to run – there’s a youth division of Global Running Day called the Million Kid Run with ideas to get kids moving, too
Running is a great way to keep off unwanted pounds that promote heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes – all enemies of healthy lower limbs. For more advice about keeping your feet healthy through exercise, feel free to contact us at our office in Solon, Ohio. Call us at (440) 903-1041 or make an appointment online.